NYU’s Maison Française will host a lecture by French historian Jean Baubérot (École Pratique des Hautes Études), “La Laïcité face aux mutations de la société française,” on February 25. Baubérot is identified with laïcité en mouvement, a school that represents a middle ground between the laïcité positive of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy, with its less hostile view of religion, and the more militantly secular laïcité de combat. Details are here.
- Herringer, “Victorians and the Virgin Mary: Religion and Gender in England 1830-85″
- Rice,”Contraception and Persecution”
- Mayor de Blasio Reverses NYC Dept of Education Policy of Exclusion
- David Cameron on the Persecution of Christians
- French & Nathan (eds.), Buddhism and Law: An Introduction
- Kanarek, “Biblical Narrative and the Formation of Rabbinic Law”
- Machiavelli’s Civil Religion
- Quote for the Day
- The Weekly Five
- How Do You Say “Nones” in French?