NYU’s Maison Française will host a lecture by French historian Jean Baubérot (École Pratique des Hautes Études), “La Laïcité face aux mutations de la société française,” on February 25. Baubérot is identified with laïcité en mouvement, a school that represents a middle ground between the laïcité positive of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy, with its less hostile view of religion, and the more militantly secular laïcité de combat. Details are here.
- Why Protect Religion?
- Sandberg, “Religion, Law and Society”
- Janes & Houen (eds.), “Martyrdom and Terrorism: Pre-Modern to Contemporary Perspectives”
- The Weekly Five
- Aronoff, “The Political Psychology of Israeli Prime Ministers”
- Quero & Shoji, “Transnational Faiths”
- Happy Easter
- Around the Web This Week
- Barras, “Refashioning Secularisms in France and Turkey”
- Hamid, “Temptations of Power”