This weekend, I participated in the Federal Bar Council’s 2012 Fall Bench and Bar Retreat in Skytop, Pennsylvania. I spoke on a panel, “First Amendment: The State of Freedom of Religion in 2012,” which addressed the ministerial exception, the contraception mandate, and Judge Preska’s recent opinion in the Bronx Household case. My fellow panelists were Judge Raymond Dearie (EDNY), Professor Kent Greenawalt (Columbia), and attorneys Gregory Lipper (Americans United for the Separation of Church and State) and Eric Rassbach (The Becket Fund). Thanks to the Council, and especially program coordinators Brad Glick, Linda Goldstein, and Steve Weyer for inviting me.
- Herringer, “Victorians and the Virgin Mary: Religion and Gender in England 1830-85″
- Rice,”Contraception and Persecution”
- Mayor de Blasio Reverses NYC Dept of Education Policy of Exclusion
- David Cameron on the Persecution of Christians
- French & Nathan (eds.), Buddhism and Law: An Introduction
- Kanarek, “Biblical Narrative and the Formation of Rabbinic Law”
- Machiavelli’s Civil Religion
- Quote for the Day
- The Weekly Five
- How Do You Say “Nones” in French?