This weekend, I participated in the Federal Bar Council’s 2012 Fall Bench and Bar Retreat in Skytop, Pennsylvania. I spoke on a panel, “First Amendment: The State of Freedom of Religion in 2012,” which addressed the ministerial exception, the contraception mandate, and Judge Preska’s recent opinion in the Bronx Household case. My fellow panelists were Judge Raymond Dearie (EDNY), Professor Kent Greenawalt (Columbia), and attorneys Gregory Lipper (Americans United for the Separation of Church and State) and Eric Rassbach (The Becket Fund). Thanks to the Council, and especially program coordinators Brad Glick, Linda Goldstein, and Steve Weyer for inviting me.
- Around the Web This Week
- “Family, Religion and Law” (Shah, Foblets & Rohe, eds.)
- Nedilsky, “Converts to Civil Society”
- America’s Duty to Iraq’s Christians
- Is More Less? Or is More More?
- Rose, “Jewish Philosophical Politics in Germany, 1789-1848″
- “Hinduism” (Sweetman, ed.)
- Is ISIS Ready to Move on Aleppo?
- Peter Berger on the Anglican Establishment
- Obama Administration Announces Plans to Revise the Contraceptives Mandate