On May 9, Ghent University (Belgium) will host an international conference highlighting empirical work on the wearing of the face veil, or burqa. Speakers will address not only the sociology of the burqa, but also the possible consequences of laws, like those in Belgium and France, that ban it. A description of the conference agenda is here. H/T: Strasbourg Observers.
- The Obama Effect?
- Around the Web this Week
- “Religion, Violence and Cities” (O’Dowd & McKnight eds.)
- Mullin, “Constructing Political Islam as the New Other: America and Its Post-War on Terror Politics”
- Panel at AAR Meeting Next Month
- Upcoming Natural Law Colloquium Lecture at Fordham
- Abraham, “Islamic Reform and Colonial Discourse on Modernity in India”
- O’Connell, “God Wills It”
- Martin, “Politics, Landlords and Islam in Pakistan”
- “Transformations of Religion and the Public Sphere: Postsecular Publics” (Braidotti et al. eds.)