On May 9, Ghent University (Belgium) will host an international conference highlighting empirical work on the wearing of the face veil, or burqa. Speakers will address not only the sociology of the burqa, but also the possible consequences of laws, like those in Belgium and France, that ban it. A description of the conference agenda is here. H/T: Strasbourg Observers.
- Certiorari Granted in Legislative Prayer Case
- The Top Five New Law & Religion Papers on SSRN
- Good-Bye to All That?
- Targeting, Unequal Application, and Free Exercise
- Panel on Islamic Law and the Arab Spring (June 4)
- Around the Web This Week
- Castellino & Cavanaugh, “Minority Rights in the Middle East”
- Devji, “Muslim Zion”
- Shalev, “American Zion”
- Non sum Oedipus, sed Morus